1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  | The problem with Colorado car insurance after a crash

The problem with Colorado car insurance after a crash

On Behalf of | Jul 20, 2022 | Car Accidents

car accident insurance

Buying a car is expensive, and keeping it legal to drive on the road is even more so. You have to pay to register the vehicle, maintain it and insure it. If you get hurt in a crash, you expect to turn to your insurance coverage.

However, unless you invest in extra insurance, your policy won’t be the one that pays for your expenses. The driver who caused the crash will supply you with the insurance coverage that pays for your property damage costs and any bodily injury expenses you incur.

Obviously, you will be left in a difficult situation if the driver to blame for the wreck does not have active insurance. Even if they have a policy that complies with state law, their coverage could be far too low to fully reimburse you for your expenses.

What does Colorado require from drivers?

Property damage liability coverage in Colorado

Every driver in Colorado has to carry insurance in case they damage someone else’s property. You can make a claim against property damage coverage for your busted fender and your smashed phone.

If the insurance company declares your vehicle a total loss, you may have to buy a new vehicle with what insurance pays you. If the other driver has the least coverage legally permissible, you could have just $15,000 worth of property damage coverage.

Bodily injury liability coverage in Colorado

The biggest expenses from crashes often relate to the injuries that people have. Car accidents can cause brain injuries, damage a spinal cord and break bones. People hurt in car crashes may require extensive emergency medical care and could also lose out on weeks of wages.

Every driver in Colorado has to carry bodily injury coverage. The the state only requires $25,000 of such coverage if a crash hurts one person and $50,000 of coverage for collisions that affect two or more people. The more serious your injuries are, the more likely you are to have costs beyond what insurance will cover.

If you have extra coverage on your own policy, you may be able to make a claim against underinsured/uninsured motorist protection. Collision or comprehensive coverage might also help you. If there truly will not be enough insurance for your expenses, then you may need to take the driver at fault to court.